Sunday, December 11, 2011

DIY Festive Garland



Today, I have another DIY Christmas craft for you
But before I show you, I ask you not to make fun of my Christmas "mantel."
(I live in an apartment, and I have to make do with a shelf instead of a real one.) That's also why I'm obsessed with this craft. It kind of gives it that "real mantel" feel. :)

But anyways, I decided to make my own "garland" instead of just buying an itchy pine one and trying to string lights around it. BORING. I found a post on Pinterest where someone took a strand of lights and tied pieces of tulle around the strand. I decided to take this idea and run with it, except instead of tulle, I used regular fabric.
And this is what I came up with.


Yes that is my kitchen in the background.

Supplies:


Pack of Christmas lights ( I used white)
Scissors
A yard (total) of different festive fabrics
A roll of thin ribbon (I chose gold glitter ribbon)

Steps:

Unwind your light strand.
Cut your fabric and ribbon into 6 inch strips.  I wanted mine pretty short, but if you want a longer look then cut them longer!
Then, take one strip, fold it in half, loop it around the light strand and pull the two ends through the loop. (You could also tie the strand in a knot, but I liked the other look better).
Alternate the different fabrics and your ribbon throughout the strand. This part is very time consuming and considering I don't have a lot of time, I only did half of the strand and twined the other half through the finished half. If you do the whole strand, you need more than a yard of fabric.

This is super easy, but it does take a little time.
Here's a close up of my final product.


14 days until Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...