Friday, August 19, 2011

I Need More Coffee



I've survived the first week of "fun"damentals, and needless to say, its really not that "fun". Who would have thought?
They weren't kidding when they said it was going to be like drinking out of a fire hose.
I mean, seriously. I've never studied this much in my life (i.e. more than 3-4 days before a test) and its certainly taking some getting used to.
What's even more sad is the fact that I should already know all the stuff we are going over.
I can't imagine how its going to be when we actually start learning stuff I've never heard of. 
It's like learning a foreign language.

Its also feels like its been one of the lonliest weeks of my life. Which I typically don't mind, but I'm going to need some kind of human interaction every now and then.
I wake up at 6:30. Get ready. Eat my breakfast. Drink my coffee. (Speaking of coffee, I've already gone from 1 cup a day to 3 cups a day). Walk a mile to Volker Hall.  Sweat to death and wonder why I even took a shower. Then I sit in class and freeze to death because the classroom thermostat is set to polar bear weather. Pretend I'm paying attention, but this is when my coffee kicks in and I become ADD. So instead I g-chat, facebook chat, blog, and wedding plan. (No worries, it really doesn't matter if I pay attention or not. I apparently only learn by writing and physical movement, thanks to the surveys med school made me take.)  Which leads me to my next step of the day- go home and re-write all my notes. Sounds fun right? Back to the physical movement learning thing- I have yet to come up with how to physically act out amino acids, protein folding and cell organelles. I'll get back to you on that.
I've noticed that everyday, somewhere during my note re-writing, I fall asleep. Never fails. Then I wake up, eat dinner, and attempt to study some more. Then I go to sleep for good.
I know you're jealous.

On a side note, med school has a medical spanish interest group. It actually sounds like its going to be a lot of fun.  And if I have to get involved, then that's what I'm going to do.  (Speaking of which, I thought once I got into med school I didn't have to have "extracurriculars" anymore.)  But since its apparently looked down upon if you don't, instead of 1 foreign language (med school), I have now signed up to learn a second one (spanish). I'm either a) out of my mind or b) superwoman.  Give me a few months and I'll let you know which of those I actually am.
You'd think after 4 and a half years of spanish education I would be fluent, right?  Wrong.  I could hardly remember how to say "my name is" in spanish.  Pitiful.

But, now its time for a 10 minute break, so I am going to leave the Arctic and go sit outside to get some Vitamin D.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...