Saturday, April 14, 2012

DIY Painted Striped Shirt



Pin It
Long time no blog.  Yeah yeah, sorry sorry. Yesterday marked 6 months until the wedding and lately, that's all I've had on my mind. I've also been way less focused on school, which will probably take its toll during my GI final this coming Friday. I will be SO GLAD when this module is over. Needless to say, I haven't enjoyed it as much as the previous two. It's just....too much stuff. However, my two patient interactions this module were awesome. And probably the only reason I haven't completely burnt out yet. It's so amazing to me how every person has a different story to tell. Granted, a medical history isn't necessarily the most happiest of stories, but it's still really cool to hear each one. 

But enough of the sentimental blogging. 
I've been working on quite a few projects for the wedding (and the blog) but I either haven't completely finished one to show it to you, or its a gift that I can't show you until the wedding is over. So, today's post is a random spur of the moment project I saw pop up in the craft blog world and I wanted to take my own shot at it. As you've already learned from the title, it's a painted striped T-shirt. 


I thought this was the coolest idea. I wish I could share the original idea with you, but I just saw it one day scrolling through Pinterest. So, instead I'll just give you my own tutorial.

Supplies:
 
Plain white T-shirt
Fabric paint*
Foam paintbrush
Masking tape
*I used acrylic paint mixed with a textile medium to make it fabric paint

How To:

 Use your masking tape to make stripes down the shirt. I used a ruler to make sure they were the same width all the way across. I also put a strip of masking tape vertically on each side. (But I didn't get a picture of this). I did this because I only wanted my stripes only go across the front. 
Before you begin painting, make sure to put some scrap paper inside of the shirt so the paint doesn't end up bleeding through to the other side.  Then, dab on your paint with the foam brush until each stripe is covered. I decided to alternate my colors.


 Let the paint dry and slowly peel off each piece of tape. 
And now you have a new piece of clothing in your wardrobe. :)
 Or at least a new, cute, pajama shirt?


It needs something...like a necklace. Or another stripe. 
I promise it's not a crooked as it looks. ;)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower! You made my day! I LOVE your blog and I'm still smiling after reading that you are a medical student AND a crafty girl! That is really cool! I love painting T's so am going to steal your idea. I'm due with a third in 4 days so once I get a little time to do this, I'll definitely let you know and will give you full credit of course. thanks again and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla! I just found your blog and became your newest follower! I'm also a medical student with a love for crafts!! (I thought I was the only one out here in blog land.) Best of luck with school and your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I still haven't tried that fabric medium, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! What a fun craft! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and I love the color combination =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...